"You may say that I am a dreamer/But I am not the only one" John Lennon: "Imagine"

"So come brothers and sisters/For the struggle carries on" Billy Bragg: "The Internationale"


Elizannie has a reading room at 'Clarice's Book Page' http://www.villiersroad.blogspot.com/

Monday 21 June 2010

Strange Days Indeed*


*Lyrics John Lennon from 'Nobody Told Me'

Since I last blogged there have been a series of very contrasting days. I went to a funeral, a friend's birthday party, it has been Fathers' Day, our Wedding Anniversary and today is the Summer Solistice. All celebrations, even the funeral was a celebration of my friend's life albeit with a regret that she wasn't there to share the party. And all involved memories - memories of a long and happy friendship at the funeral; memories of families and children growing up at the birthday party and on Fathers' Day; memories of our marriage and again family memories on our Wedding Anniversary. And to an 'old hippy' the Summer Solstice brings many memories!

So of course all these happenings on different days got me 'meditating' on the different aspects of life represented: birth, death and marriages and the celebration of all three plus Fathers' Day of families and friends. And the importance of memories - f'r instance on Fathers' Day there were lots of thoughts for me of my own father who passed on forty three years ago as well as celebrations for other half from our children.

And then the Summer Solistice brings all the thoughts of renewal and the change in the seasons that has been going on for millenia as people come and go. The photo above was taken at the last time we were at Stonehenge to see the sun rise over the heel stone. I really feel an old [in the sense of age!] hippy today as I didn't get up to see the sun rise anywhere - too many celebrations of other sorts over the past few days meant I slept through... I had thought of getting up to watch the sun rise over the Thames Estuary but in the event didn't!!

No comments:

Post a Comment