"You may say that I am a dreamer/But I am not the only one" John Lennon: "Imagine"

"So come brothers and sisters/For the struggle carries on" Billy Bragg: "The Internationale"


Elizannie has a reading room at 'Clarice's Book Page' http://www.villiersroad.blogspot.com/

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Tom Lehrer and I




The wonderful, multi talented American singer-songwriter, saatirsit, painist and matematician Tom Lehrer commented on the occasion of the award of the Nobel Peace Prize to Henry Kissinger in 1973 that it 'made political satire obsolete'.

I am reminded of this when trying to write a blog linking the large arms fair at the Excel centre in London this week, the American Secretary of State John Kerry, arriving in London yesterday to call for support for intervention in Syria after their alleged use of chemical weapons and the latest news that Russia seems to becoming the peace broker.

So rather than write I will listen to my old Tom Lehrer CDs and reflect on how the world has changed [?] since I first heard them.

No comments:

Post a Comment