"You may say that I am a dreamer/But I am not the only one" John Lennon: "Imagine"

"So come brothers and sisters/For the struggle carries on" Billy Bragg: "The Internationale"


Elizannie has a reading room at 'Clarice's Book Page' http://www.villiersroad.blogspot.com/

Monday 12 December 2011

Christmas Round Robin


Yes, it is that time of year again - the much derided ‘Round Robin’ Christmas letter time! Actually I love hearing everyone's news and hope others don’t mind getting mine that way. Each year we all promise to contact each other in the New Year in our 'Round Robins' but inevitably life intervenes and I at least find myself apologising yet again for letting time slip by. But at least once year many of us do manage to contact each other through this much maligned medium.

I am also saving money on postage again and will be sending some of mine by email to our lovely friends and relatives outside the UK. The money saved will be sent as usual to charity, although to a different one this year. We are still supporting the wonderful charity MAMAA in memory of a dear cousin but this Christmas we are sending money to the Special Care Baby Unit at St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey. Thanks to the unit, Youngest Daughter and Fiance have a beautiful baby girl who was born at St Peter’s in April and YD wants to raise some money for the Unit. Thanks to St Peter’s too for restoring YD to health as she was very ill too.

The rest of my Round Robin just contains odd news about things which should interest old friends and family. No political rants, I save them for blogs and twitter! I eagerly await the Round Robins from the family and friends and love getting Christmas Cards and Holiday Greetings. To all those who say what is the point of remembering others just once a year - that is the point! We remember others often but once a year we show them that we care! Often when I am writing out the Christmas cards I will pick up the 'phone and call someone. Or I may glance at a name that has been crossed from the address book because that person has gone to a better place, but their memory is still fresh in my mind. So rather than dismiss the notion of 'Round Robins', cherish them. That is what this time of year is also about. Remembering friends and family. And giving thanks.




The picture of the [Round!] Robin is courtesy of the rspb.org.uk There are many Christmas legends about Robins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Robin scroll down to: 'Cultural depictions'. However one of my favourite 'robin legends' is the notion that the robin is really a soul that has passed on who is returning to re-visit its earthly home/relatives. Another link with Christmas legends.




No comments:

Post a Comment